Give feedback

We welcome comments about our services. You can provide feedback in the following ways:

Raise a concern

Many people do find it useful to discuss concerns straight away with the ward or department, or with one of the PALS team. However, you do not need to have previously done this in order to make a formal complaint.

On the ward

You can speak with the ward matron or ward manager in the department. Many problems can be resolved quickly by talking things over. Misunderstandings can easily happen and sometimes just as easily be put right.

With our Patient Advice and Liaison Service

If you do not want to discuss your concerns with the staff or their manager, or you are unhappy with their response, ask to speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

PALS provide confidential advice, information and support for patients, relatives and carers.

PALS are available to assist with concerns and liaise with staff on your behalf, ensuring you receive a timely and appropriate response.

Call the Complaints Team

You can contact the Complaints Team on 01273 664511

Make a complaint in writing

If you do decide to make a complaint, this should normally be no more than twelve months after the event you are complaining about.

You can email your complaint to

Alternatively, you can write directly to the Chief Executive:

Chief Executive
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
Trust Headquarters, St Mary’s Hall
Eastern Road

The Chief Executive will ask one of our case managers to investigate your complaint. The case manager will usually try to contact you to discuss your complaint so please provide a telephone number.

Click here to read our leaflet about how to make a complaint

Access help to make a complaint

Advocacy services are available to support patients and carers who wish to pursue a complaint about NHS treatment or care. Support can include helping to draft a complaint and attending meetings. Services are free, confidential and independent.

Please contact the service that covers the area in which you live (not the area where you receive treatment).

If you live in Brighton and Hove

Contact Impetus

If you live in West Sussex

Contact ICAS

If you live in East Sussex

Contact SEAP


You can provide positive feedback for our staff by emailing

If you provide details of the staff involved, we will send your comments to them. However, you do not have to give staff names if you don’t want to.

If you would like to do more, you could consider making a donation to BSUH Charity, which is the dedicated charity for our hospitals.

The Patient Experience Panel meets every two months. It welcomes representatives from patients and their carers and local community groups and provides an opportunity for patients and staff to work together to improve services.
To find out more about the Patient Experience Panel please contact:

  • Jane Carmody, Head of Patient Experience, PALS and Complaints
  • 01273 664511
The Friends and Family Test (FFT) is a feedback tool used in most NHS-funded services in England.

It helps us to find out what people think of our care and treatments. We really value the responses and use them to improve services in our Trust.

Completing the test

When you complete your treatment or are discharged, you will be invited to complete the FFT.

You might be asked to complete a postcard questionnaire or to place a token in one of our Friends and Family collection boxes.

Our results

You can view our FFT results on the NHS England website. The results are broken down into inpatient, outpatient, A&E and maternity services.

More information