We are so pleased you’re thinking about joining us. Our volunteers are as diverse as the communities we serve and we welcome applications from anyone over the age of 16. We look forward to hearing from you.
People volunteer for many different reasons but some of the things our volunteers share include:
- Feeling part of a committed, supportive team
- Making a difference when someone has really needed you; a chance to ‘give back’
- Being appreciated for what you can offer
- Something different every day and opportunities to learn and grow
- Having fun and a great experience: new people, new friends, joining the life (and, if you want to, social life) of your local hospital
Volunteering for your career
We carefully match volunteers to a role and team, to make it the best experience for you.
We aim to provide a rewarding experience for anyone who wants to help others and enhance the quality of the care we offer to our patients.
Volunteering for your community
What our volunteers say about their experiences
‘I love having my volunteering within my weekly structure.’
‘To see a patient smile and say thank you is a big reward in itself. To chat to them and listen to them is great. It makes them feel so much better.’
‘I enjoy the role immensely and love the patients. Also it gets me out of the house and gives me a sense of achievement’
‘Every time I go in it is different – funny, sad, demanding, challenging… but never dull.’
We will provide
- Full guidelines outlining the role and boundaries for your placement
- Full induction training
- Day-to-day support from your host team as well as from the voluntary services team
- Further training as required
- Travel expenses on request
Volunteers take on a variety of different roles and assist in some of the following areas:
Is volunteering with us right for you?
There are other opportunities within our hospitals which you may wish to consider. These opportunities have separate application processes so please apply directly to the relevant team:
- Work experience
- Medical attachments
- Volunteering for one of the charities in our hospitals
- Volunteering for the chaplaincy team
- Psychology graduate internships at Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Our comprehensive recruitment process helps us to match our volunteers with an appropriate placement across our varied range of volunteering opportunities.
We work closely with a number of schools and colleges in the Brighton and Sussex area and can only take applications from school or college students via your place of study. We would be happy to accept a referral for you from your school or college so please apply via them.
Due to the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we have paused all new recruitment (which involves an open morning, interview and training) to avoid social contact & mixing in groups. As soon as the situation changes, we will update this webpage. Thank you for your interest.