Brexit and our staff

We value the diversity of our colleagues and actively champion an inclusive culture. We understand that the vote to leave the European Union has created uncertainty for staff and prospective applicants and we will do our best to provide relevant support and information.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

If you are an EEA or Swiss citizen, you need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue to live and work in the UK after 30 June 2021 (or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal).

Who is eligible to apply?

  • You need to apply if you are an EU citizen (EEA and Swiss nationals) or a non‑EU family member of an EU citizen. This includes those with a UK permanent residence document.
  • You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter, or you are an Irish citizen, but you can if you want to.
  • You need to be a resident in the UK by 31 December 2020.
  • If you have been a resident in the UK for five continuous years or more you will be eligible for settled status. If you have been a resident for less than five continuous years you will be eligible for pre-settled status.
  • You must not be a serious or persistent criminal, a threat to national security, or have a deportation order, exclusion order or exclusion decision against you.

For more information about eligibility, visit the GOV.UK website

How to apply

To apply to the EU Settlement Scheme you will need to complete an online application form to:

  • prove your identity;
  • show that you live in the UK; and
  • declare any serious criminal convictions.

You should complete the online application form after reading the relevant government guidance.


For more information and to start your application, visit the GOV.UK website

If you have any questions about an application, you can contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre by calling 0300 123 7379. You can also ask a question using the online submissions form.

Further information