What we do
Endocrinologists diagnose and treat hormone imbalances. Our multidisciplinary team includes consultants, nurses, dietitians, a psychotherapist and a podiatrist.
Hormones are substances that help to control activities in your body. Different types of hormones control reproduction, metabolism, growth and development.
The glands that make up the endocrine system include the thyroid, parathyroid, pancreas, ovaries, testes, adrenal, pituitary and hypothalamus.
In addition to our general diabetes and endocrinology clinics, we provide sub-specialty and multi-disciplinary clinics including:
- Osteoporosis and metabolic bone with integrated bone densitometry service
- Medical obstetric
- Diabetic foot
- Young adult diabetes
- Transitional endocrine
- Late effects
- Renal diabetes
- Thyroid cancer
- Male hypogonadal/HIV
- Monogenic diabetes
- Diabetes pump clinic
Prepare for your appointment
Please bring a list of all your current tablets and medicines with you.
If you have diabetes and are monitoring your blood sugar levels at home, please remember to bring your records with you to all your clinic appointments.
If you are coming to the Diabetes Clinic for an appointment with the doctor, please bring a urine sample with you for testing.
If you have been given a form for a blood test, please try to get this done 1 to 2 weeks before your appointment.
If you are not able to attend your appointment, please phone or e-mail to cancel and/or re-schedule it.
The diabetes and endocrinology service is provided at The Royal Sussex County Hospital and The Princess Royal Hospital.
Royal Sussex County Hospital
- To cancel or reschedule your appointment you can phone 0300 303 8360 or complete our online form
- Diabetes Nurse Specialists: 01273 696955 x 4205
- Endocrine SpR: bleep x 8809 (via the Royal Sussex County Hospital switchboard)
- Endocrine Nurse Specialist: 01273 696955 x 4379
- Podiatry (Martin Turns) 01273 696955 x 4204
- Dietetics 01273 696955 x 4290
- Endocrinology Secretaries: 01273 696955 x 64311
Princess Royal Hospital
- Appointments: 01444 448622 (Dr Wheatley); 01444 448605 (Dr Parthasarathy)
- Diabetes Nurse Specialists: 01444 441881 x 8436
- Dietetics 01444 441881 x 8313
- Endocrine Nurse Specialist: 01444 441881 x 5660
- Endocrinology Secretaries: 01444 441881 x 8400 (Dr Wheatley); x 8089 (Dr Parthasarathy)
Refer a patient for Pituitary MDT (only accessible from an NHS computer)