[Skip to content]

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals - home

Compliments, comments and complaints

Child patient PALS

We welcome your views on our services. If you have been impressed by the care that you or someone you know has received, please let us know. It is important that we know when we are getting things right.

Equally, we welcome comments on how we might improve our services. If you have a comment or suggestion, you can let the relevant ward or department manager know directly.


Alternatively you may wish to write to:

Dr Gillian Fairfield - Chief Executive
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
Trust Headquarters
Eastern Road
BN2 5BE 


Sometimes things don’t always go just as you would like them to.

You have several options to raise concerns, but first of all we would ask that you speak with the Ward Matron or Ward Manager in the department.  Many problems can be resolved quickly by talking things over. Misunderstandings can easily happen and sometimes just as easily be put right. If you do not want to discuss your concerns with the staff or their manager, or if you have tried this and are still unhappy ask to speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service

Many people do find it useful to discuss concerns straight away with the ward or department, or with one of the PALS team. However, you do not need to have previously done this in order to make a formal complaint.   

If you do decide to make a complaint, this should normally be no more than twelve months after the event you are complaining about.

Our experience has shown us that when someone puts their complaint in writing, it gives them the opportunity to really consider the questions they wish to be addressed along with their desired outcome, all of which are very helpful in assisting us to resolve complaints.

  • You can contact the Complaints team on: 01273 664511  

If you prefer, you can send your complaint directly to the Chief Executive (address above) or email the Complaints Department on complaints@bsuh.nhs.uk.

The Chief Executive will ask one of our case managers to investigate your complaint on his behalf. The case manager will usually try to contact you to discuss your complaint so please provide a telephone number.

Click here to read more about how to make a complaint (PDF)


Access help to make a complaint

Advocacy services are available to support patients and carers who wish to pursue a complaint about NHS treatment or care. Support can include helping to draft a complaint and attending meetings. Services are free, confidential and independent.

Please contact the service that covers the area in which you live (not the area where you receive treatment).


If you live in Brighton and Hove, please contact:



If you live in West Sussex, please contact:



If you live in East Sussex (other than Brighton and Hove), please contact:



Positive feedback

If you would like to say thank you or provide us with some positive feedback please get in touch by completing a short online form - click here.


PALS - patient advice and liaison service 

PALS provide confidential advice, information and support for patients, relatives and carers.

PALS are available to assist with concerns and liaise with staff on your behalf, ensuring you receive a timely and appropriate response.

Click here for more information