[Skip to content]

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals - home

Making a complaint

We welcome comments on how we might improve our services. If you have a comment or complaint, there are several options available.

Raising concerns

Many people do find it useful to discuss concerns straight away with the ward or department, or with one of the PALS team. However, you do not need to have previously done this in order to make a formal complaint.   

Speak with the ward matron or ward manager in the department  

Many problems can be resolved quickly by talking things over. Misunderstandings can easily happen and sometimes just as easily be put right. 

Speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service

If you do not want to discuss your concerns with the staff or their manager, or if you have tried this and are still unhappy ask to speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service. 

PALS provide confidential advice, information and support for patients, relatives and carers.

PALS are available to assist with concerns and liaise with staff on your behalf, ensuring you receive a timely and appropriate response.

Click here for more information

Call the Complaints team

You can contact the Complaints team on 01273 664511 

Make a complaint in writing

If you do decide to make a complaint, this should normally be no more than twelve months after the event you are complaining about.

You can email the Complaints team on complaints@bsuh.nhs.uk.

Alternatively, you can write directly to the Chief Executive:

Dr Gillian Fairfield - Chief Executive 
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
Trust Headquarters
Eastern Road
BN2 5BE 

The Chief Executive will ask one of our case managers to investigate your complaint on her behalf. The case manager will usually try to contact you to discuss your complaint so please provide a telephone number.

Click here to read more about how to make a complaint (PDF)


Access help to make a complaint

Advocacy services are available to support patients and carers who wish to pursue a complaint about NHS treatment or care. Support can include helping to draft a complaint and attending meetings. Services are free, confidential and independent.

Please contact the service that covers the area in which you live (not the area where you receive treatment).


If you live in Brighton and Hove, please contact:



If you live in West Sussex, please contact:



If you live in East Sussex (other than Brighton and Hove), please contact: