Education & Research
We have first class paediatric research team based at the Alex and conduct cutting edge research across various paediatric specialities.
Read more below.
About our paediatric research
Paediatric research is conducted at the Alex and is supported by a team of research nurses, research Fellows, NHS consultants, clinical academics and various support staff.
We are research-active across several paediatric specialities, and examples of some of our on-going projects are:
- The optimal treatment of high blood pressure in children with kidney problems.
- The PANTS study – Personalized Anti-TNF Therapy in Crohn’s Disease
- Preventative medical treatment for children deemed at risk of developing diabetes.
The children’s hospital emergency department is also involved in a number of the research studies, which is imperative when offering acute treatments for a number of different conditions.
Paeditrician consultants, Professor Mukhopadhyay and Dr Paul Seddon, have a particular interest in paediatric respiratory research, and run several studies exploring the physiological and sociological impact of having multiple allergies.
Leading paediatric researchers at the Alex
- Prof Somnath Mukhopadhyay – chair in paediatrics. specialising in asthma, allergy, genomics, and personalised treatment
- Dr Katy Fidler – specialising in infectious diseases and immunology
- Dr Heike Rabe – specialising in neonatal research
- Dr Ramon Fernandez – specialising in neonatal respiratory, support, nutrition, point-of-care sonography
Click on the links below to take you to more information on the following areas: