The Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital in Brighton is dedicated to providing the highest quality of medical and nursing care for children and young people in Brighton and the surrounding area.
Our pioneering paediatric care is carried out in our modern and child-friendly hospital and across the many outpatient clinics we run across Sussex.
We also offer a dedicated children's emergency department for children across the South East.
Paediatric and neonatal excellence
Our eye-catching hospital was opened in 2007 by our patron, her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, and provides state-of-the-art children’s healthcare facilities in a comfortable, welcoming, safe and secure environment.
Our specialist children’s clinical services cover a wide spectrum of medical care including surgery, cancer treatment, epilepsy, respiratory illnesses, orthodontics and dentistry, diabetes, gastroenterology, cardiology, allergy, infectious diseases, emergency medicine and trauma. These are all supported by other specialist children’s services such as physiotherapy, dietetics, speech and language therapy and psychology. A children’s community nursing team provides ongoing care when children and young people are discharged from hospital. Our play team and teaching service are there to ensure children are supported in other ways, not just medical.
We involve parents, carers, guardians, children and young people in the treatment process and respect their decisions at all times.
Our family-friendly facilities
Our facilities are family friendly and accessible to children and young people with disabilities.
The Alex children’s hospital has:
- 100 beds in single rooms and spacious four-bed bays, all with en-suite bathrooms. Each of our beds has a mini TV, telephone and pull-down day beds so that parents can rest next to their children
- Eight high dependency beds
- Three intensive care beds
- A day care oncology ward and a day care ward for medicine and surgery
- Dedicated play areas and dedicated adolescent rooms
- Parents’ lounges and kitchens
- Three operating theatres
- 15 outpatient consulting rooms
- An on-site x-ray department
- A dedicated children’s A&E
- 24-hour on site security
‘Outstanding’ rating by the Care Quality Commission
In August 2016 the Alex was inspected by the Care Quality Commission and the hospital was rated as outstanding for its care…….