How do I use Chlorhexidine?
- You should start using chlorhexidine 4 days before your hospital admission
- Chlorhexidine should be used undiluted as a liquid soap. Apply it directly to your wet skin with your hands or a cloth. You should leave it in contact with your skin for at least a minute
- You should apply Chlorhexidine all over your body. You should pay particular attention to the areas around your nose (nostrils), between your legs (genitals and anus), under your arms and feet.
- After the first application repeat the steps outlined above this time using Chlorhexidine as a shampoo to wash your hair (see diagram below). Hair should be rinsed well afterwards. Whenever possible hair should be washed on two occasions during a week.
- You can wash off the Chlorhexidine in a bath or by showering.
- You should dry yourself with a clean towel afterwards and put on clean clothes.